Members of the Campus Community,
Officials with UTC Emergency and Risk Management, University Health Services, Student Life, the Center for Global Education, Housing and Residence Life and other campus entities continue to closely monitor information on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
UTC emergency and risk management officials are following the guidance of local and state health departments and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on this outbreak. At this time, the CDC (2020) reports:
The potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, both globally and to the United States.
But individual risk is dependent on exposure.
- For the general American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
- Under current circumstances, certain people will have an increased risk of infection, for example healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19 and other close contacts of persons with COVID-19. CDC has developed guidance to help in the risk assessment and management of people with potential exposures to COVID-19.
There is no vaccine to prevent this virus, and the CDC advises that the best way to prevent infection is to avoid exposure.
Actions you can take to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
In the event UTC receives guidance from our partners at the local, state or federal levels, we will take the necessary steps to ensure the safety and well-being of the campus community.
You can check for the latest known information on the coronavirus (COVID-19) at the CDC’sCoronavirus website.