Hurricane Sally approaches the Gulf Coast

By  Emily Mitchell, UTC student

CHATTANOOGA, TENN (mocsnews.com) – Gulf Coast faces another hurricane weeks after Laura, a Category 4 storm, came ashore in parts of Texas and Louisiana. 

The Atlantic is faced with yet another storm, Hurricane Sally scaled up to become a Category 2 storm on Monday, September 14. 

According to the National Hurricane Center, Sally is located off the Northern Gulf Coast and traveling west-northwest at 5 mph with max sustained winds of 100 mph. There is potential for up to two feet of rain and a flash flood risk for the next three days. 

The storm is predicted to hit on the southeastern edge of Louisiana and then make its way back to Florida by Wednesday. 

In May of this year, the NOAA  predicted that 2020 was going to be a busy Atlantic hurricane season by stating, “The outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.” With four hurricanes currently in the Atlantic, and only one name left on Tropical Cyclone Names list, the predictions made by the NOAA sadly seem to be correct for the 2020 hurricane season.

About Emily Mitchell

Check Also

Two Los Angeles Deputies shot and critically wounded

2nd AP Story Meg Eslinger September 14, 2020 Comm 3610                     Two Los Angeles Deputies shot and …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *